One Week Down! Divisibility Rules, Prime and Composite Numbers, and Prime Factorization




 Wow, what a busy week! This week we set up goals on our Unit 1 Standards sheet. I explained to students  how we will use this to start each unit. Students set individual goals and looked over the standards and "I Can" statements for the unit. They can use this as a checklist as we go through the unit or as a study guide when preparing for a test. I explained how the data table will work. After assessments students will chart their own data with the goal of reaching mastery for each standard by the end of the year. Any standard not mastered will be continuously worked on.
The first lesson was a review of divisibility rules. I was surprised by how many students didn't know many of these rules. They really enjoyed learning them, especially the rules for 3 and 9. :) 



Next we looked at the Sieve of Eratosthenes and reviewed prime and composite numbers, factors, and multiples. They enjoyed learning about this historical tool. 

We ended on Friday with the Prime Factorization notes page. They really liked the ladder diagram. I can't wait to teach them how to use this tool to find GCF and LCM. So much easier than the way I used to teach it when I taught 5th grade! :)

All week I shared growth mindset videos from the Week of Inspirational Math at https://www.youcubed.org/week-of-inspirational-math-2/. If you haven't seen this before, check it out. It had an amazing impact on my students last year and seemed to have done the same this year. I also shared math principles and theories such as the hailstone sequence, ancient number systems and what a conjecture is. They loved it! I am so excited about what this year will bring! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School Giveaway

New Math Center Bundle and all Bundles half off!

Finally, Some New Products!